Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring ASBMF Challenge #5: A Rainbow After the Rain

I was just thinking yesterday about how long my nails were starting to get.  Then I woke up this morning to find a chunk of the nail on my right middle finger missing.  I have no idea how it happened.  I didn't have any cracks or weak spots on that nail.  But there it was staring back at me, the whole corner missing, snapped off cleanly like someone had taken a clipper to it while I was sleeping.  So everything has been trimmed back, which I guess is ok in the long run.  I had a few nails that were taking a path of their own, so trimming them back has made them look straight again.  Then it was time to work on the next part of the ASBMF Challenge and tackle a rainbow design.  After a lot of thought, I decided to do scotch tape rays, à la Chloe's Nails.  I've done scotch tape manicures before but this was the first time I did small rays versus big sections, which would be more like color blocking.


I started out by free handing a rainbow with vertical stripes on my thumbs and middle fingers.


For the rainbow, I used China Glaze Poinsettia (red), Orly Crush On You (orange), Orly Lemonade (yellow), OPI Don't Mess With OPI (green), OPI Ogre-The-Top Blue (blue) and OPI Funky Dunkey (violet/purple).  I didn't really have any polishes that would work well for indigo so I made one on a paper plate by mixing two drops of Ogre-The-Top Blue, one drop of Funky Dunkey and one drop of Wet n Wild Black Creme.  I put a coat of Seche Vite over the rainbows so they would dry faster and I wouldn't have to wait as long to apply the scotch tape.  On the rest of my nails, I used two coats of China Glaze Liquid Leather.  Next I took 4 thin cut strips of scotch tape, which I cut at an angle so one end was skinnier than the other, and applied them to the rainbow nails.


The Scotch brand tape I used has silver and gold stars and squiggle designs on it, so that's the gold and silver blotches you see on the strips above.  Once I had the tape strips on and secure, I went over them with a thicker coat of China Glaze Liquid Leather and then immediately pulled off the strips with tweezers.


I think my right thumb actually came out the best.  I had the thinnest strips of tape on my thumb and they were angled better than on my other nails.  But overall I think the final design came out ok.  Not exactly as I had pictured it in my head but close enough that I'm satisfied with it.



Here's a look at what's up next...


And as usual, be sure to check out the other ladies participating in this challenge, either by heading over to the Facebook page for the challenge or by checking out the bloggers below:
Hannah from Polished Prisms
Amanda from Mandy's Polish
Heidi from DIY Polish & More
Charlotte from Charlotte's Nails
Karine from Karinea0a
Victoria from Manicurator
Ashley from One Nail To Another
Dani from Rustic Comfort
Kayono from Neues vom Kellerkind
April from Munia's Nails
Sharra from The Blahg
CR from Color Me Silly
T from Mami Blogs
Alyson from Beads. Nails. Food.

7 comments:

  1. Looks great! I have to try a mani like this too.. so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this in school but couldn't comment at the time. It really is gorgeous and super unique! The effect reminds me of these black scratch-off cards we used to have in elementary school. When you scratched the black film off the top a rainbow was revealed. They were so fun!

    I also wanted to let you know Sarah that you've been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award over at Polished Prisms. I'm so sorry if you've completed it before! If so just ignore me :P

    http://polished-prisms.blogspot.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award-take-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely :D I have some striping tape coming my way, I'm hopefully going to be able to do something similar soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I've never seen this technique before! Well done! I may just have to try this some time! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blog with so many interesting and inspiring posts! Love your work:) Would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...